Pet Care

Are you suspecting your pet ingested a poison?

Consult us immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested a poison. Be prepared to provide as much information as you can about what type of poison it was, how much your pet ingested and when it happened. If the poison packaging is available have it with you when you call as important information is on the package and can be relayed to us.

Common household poisons are:
*Human medications such as aspirin, Tylenol, chewable vitamins with iron
*Antifreeze even a small amount ingestion can be fatal
*Rat and mouse poison
*Garden supplies such as snail bait, weed killer and insecticides
*Cleaning supplies such as bleach, dishwasher detergent, Draino, etc
*Plants such as poinsettia and lilies as well as a large number of tropical plants such as oleander.

Possible heat stroke?

Heat stroke is an emergency that requires immediate recognition and prompt attention. Dogs do not tolerate high temperatures as well as humans and they depend upon breathing/panting to exchange heat from their bodies. If this panting effort is inadequate then the body temperature increases and can lead to heat stroke.

Situations that can lead to heat stroke are:

1) Being left in hot car, even if windows are cracked.
2) Being confined on concrete runs.
3) Lack of shade in pen or yard.
4) Lack of water.
5) Dogs with "short noses" such as Pugs or Bulldogs can easily over heat even with routine exercise on hot days.
6) Dogs suffering from airway disease or any condition that impairs breathing can lead to higher body temperatures with exertion.